Over the years in the custom temporary tattoo printing, after witnessing the success and failure cases of customers, I found a useful guide to starting a temporary tattoo business that is particularly important for starters, to help them grow their business quickly. That’s why you are reading this article, let’s figure it out.
Follow these simple steps to get started and make your mark in the temporary tattoo industry. Whether you’re looking to turn your hobby into a side hustle or start a full-time business, this guide will help you get started on the right foot. So, let’s dive in!
Step 1, Know Temporary Tattoo Advantages
Image source: www.pexels.com
The first thing you need to know about temporary tattoos are advantages and why they are worth to invest.
Temporary tattoos, also known as water decal stickers or fake tattoos, are a fun and easy way to add some temporary body art to your look. They can be used for a variety of purposes, from promoting a company or sports team to adding some extra flair to a special event or party. Simply apply the sticker to your skin and enjoy your new temporary tattoo!
- Temporary feature, last 3~7 days,depends on different body places and care.
- Skin safe, waterproof, and have no any pain after application
- Great to express your personality or promote your business
- Popularity among all age groups and demographics makes them a versatile product to sell.
- Easy to apply and remove
- Inexpensive and have attractive colors and patterns for customers
- Lightweight, shipping cost-friendly.
Starting a temporary tattoo business online can be a fun and rewarding way to make money while expressing your creativity. With the rise of e-commerce, it’s easier than ever to turn your passion into a profitable venture.
When temporary tattoos are purchased in bulk from the manufacturer, the cost can be as low as $0.1 per piece or even lower, making it a profitable business opportunity. Even when compared to competitors’ prices, which sale price range from $5 to $15 for various shapes, sizes, and styles, temporary tattoos still offer a significant profit margin. Additionally, their small and lightweight nature makes them easy to ship worldwide at a low cost. The profit margin of this product looks impressive. Let’s find out the expenses immediately in the next step.
Step 2,Know Temporary Tattoo Business Investment
Image source: www.pexels.com
If you’re ready to start selling online and generate income, there are a few essential investments you’ll need to make. These basic facilities will help you get started on the right foot and set you up for success in the world of online sales.
The best one for you will depend on your budget and specific needs. Let’s take a closer look at some of the most popular options.
The third-party marketplace and its transaction cost
- Etsy, $20/month, 3.5% commission per each transaction，and $0.20~$0.35 transaction fee.
- Amazon，$39.99/month, 8~15% per each transaction, and storage by month.
Your own hosted website and it’s cost
- Shopify, $29/month, 2.9% commission per each transaction, and $0.3 transaction fee. (Web hosting is including)
- WordPress +Woo commerce
- Logo design ，cost from $40~$100 per time,depends on different quality logo
- Domain +hosting,cost from $160~$500 per year.
- Website design,cost from $500~$2000 per time, depends on different design quality.
Your mainly investment for products:
- Tattoo design cost, $300~$1000, to get a batch of tattoo designs from the designer.
- Product inventory cost, cost from $250,you can get 1000pcs at lease,easy to get many types and qty, can support your sales a while.
In addition to the fees mentioned above, do you think that’s all it costs? The biggest cost is still behind. Make sure to get enough budgets for the project as per your marketing strategy.
- Etsy / Amazon ads complain charges: $50~$500 per day,depends on your budget.
- Facebook Ads/Google Ads, cost from $50~$500 per day,depends on your budget.
- Monthly SEO cost, the most fee are from $500~$1500, content writing and back links ourtreach.
Start this online business project, you just spend less than $600.You can purchase temporary tattoo designs and customize production with your tattoo supplier. However, it is important to allocate a budget for advertising and marketing, which will depend on your budget level.
The best part is that you can start this project from the comfort of your home, or as a part-time job, without the need to rent a shop or hire employees initially. By saving on these costs, you can invest more in marketing and SEO strategies to grow your business. If you think the cost-benefit ratio of this product is good, you can bookmark & and share our article, and then study it at your own pace.
Step 3, Research Temporary Tattoo Market and Competition
Before any business online, you have to know the market volume, completion and chance.
Once you have chosen your niche, it’s important to research the market and competition. Look at other temporary tattoo businesses online and see what they are offering, how they are pricing their products, and what their branding looks like. This will help you identify gaps in the market and opportunities to differentiate yourself. You can also use this research to determine what pricing strategy will work best for your business and what marketing channels will be most effective in reaching your target audience.
Temporary Tattoo Market Volume:
It’s reported that the global Temporary Tattoo market size was valued at USD 987.82 million in 2021 and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 9.26% during the forecast period, reaching USD 1680.16 million by 2027. Every second person aged 25 to 39 has at least one tattoo, and the 18‒24 age range isn’t lagging far behind. What’s more, even those who don’t have tattoos frequently consider getting some in the future.
Meanwhile, when we examine the search trend data from Google Trends over the past 5 years, it becomes evident that there is still significant ongoing interest in temporary tattoos.
To validate our assessment, we turn to Amazon.com, the largest B2C sales platform in the US, to gauge the sales performance of temporary tattoos. After analyzing the top 8 best-selling products, we discover that temporary tattoos are thriving in the US market, with notable profit margins still intact.
Analyze Your Potential Competitors
Once we find out that our product is profitable, the next step is to gather more information about our potential competitors. We can use different tools to find out how much traffic they attract, which channels they use to sell their products, and how much they spend on online advertising.
Here are some tools you can use:
- SEMRUSH – To find out how much traffic they get and how much they spend on Google advertising.
- Facebook Ads Library – You can use the Facebook Ads Library tool to check what kind of campaigns and ads your competitors are running on both Facebook and Instagram.
We can view a lot of temporary tattoo keyword data, such as CPC (Cost Per Click), KD (Keyword Difficulty) and other key data. We can choose a product similar to the following example to conduct in-depth research.
Some low competition temporary tattoo products on SEMRUSH
Identify Your Target Audience
Based on the analysis conducted using SEMRUSH and Facebook Ad Library tools, we can initially identify numerous product styles that can be explored. We can determine which products face significant competition and which design patterns are most popular. In addition, we can evaluate whether these products cater to adults or children, men or women, and boys or girls. Or whether they are targeted to groups such as sporting events, cheerleaders, or commercial promotions. In addition, we can identify products that are appropriate for specific holidays or occasions, such as St. Patrick’s Day, Independence Day,Halloween,Christmas , etc.
Resources of temporary tattoo products research
Check what are hot search on amazon.com
“simple,arm,wrist,waterproof,sleeve,flower,dragon,small and more” . Temporary tattoo types in high searh volume.
You also can check on social media,like Pinterest,Facebook,Instagram and etc.
This step is critical because the outcome of this exercise will determine how you will approach the next steps.
Resources for tempory tattoo market research
- Top 100 temporary tattoos sellers on Amazon
- Sellers in Walmart
- The best way to do market research is to observe the competition and talk to potential customers. Ask your target audience what kinds of temporary tattoos they like and whether they feel any products are missing from the market. Similarly, observe how other temporary tattoo businesses advertise their tattoos and which types get particular attention.
- Speak with your suppliers and learn more information about temporary tattoo design trend.
Collect your competitor products critical review and improve them on your products.
Step 4,Design Your Temporary Tattoos
Image source: www.pexels.com
After some analysis in deep, you’ve done a good job of positioning your products, so let’s design them out next.
The design of your temporary tattoos is a crucial aspect of your business. You want to create designs that are unique, eye-catching, and appealing to your target audience. Before you go all in on this, you should do a little prototyping as a sort of feasibility study. First off, where is the art coming from? Are you making the designs or someone else’s? If someone else’s how are you licensing them for this?
- Hire a designer .You’d better hire a designer on a freelance web, depends on your budget. Share your ideas with them and get a satisfied result in the end.
- Buy licensed artwork from iStockphoto and Shutterstock .Licensed photo websites are a treasury thing when you have no idea about your product design.
- Buying pre-designed temporary tattoo products is a good choice too.Get reach to your supplier and ask what designs are hot now, and then ask for stock samples before make a bulk order.
Before launching your business, it is a must-do to thoroughly test each tattoo design to ensure they meet high-quality standards and exceed your customers’ expectations.
Step 5,Set Up Your E-commerce Website
Due to the intensifying price competition observed on Amazon.com in recent years, sellers have expanded their presence to other marketplaces to sell temporary tattoos. Platforms like Etsy, Wal-Mart, Shopify, and others offer the potential for higher profit margins. Therefore, in this step, let’s focus on leveraging Shopify as our chosen platform.
- User-friendly interface: Shopify provides an intuitive and user-friendly platform, making it easy for beginners to set up and manage their online stores without technical expertise.
- Customization options: Shopify offers a wide range of customizable themes and templates, allowing you to create a unique and visually appealing online store that aligns with your brand identity.
- Secure and reliable: With built-in security features, regular updates, and reliable hosting, Shopify ensures that your store is secure, runs smoothly, and can handle high volumes of traffic.
- Mobile-responsive design: Shopify’s themes are optimized for mobile devices, providing a seamless shopping experience for customers who browse and purchase using smartphones or tablets.
- App integration: Shopify’s App Store offers a vast selection of apps and plugins to enhance your store’s functionality. You can add features like advanced analytics, marketing tools, inventory management, and more.
- Payment gateway options: Shopify integrates with various payment gateways, allowing you to offer multiple payment options to your customers, including credit cards, digital wallets, and alternative payment methods.
- And more…
You can build website by:
- By a freelancer web developer, If you are not familiar with web building, this is the better option to hire a web developer by a freelancer.You can find the service from www fiverr.com,www upwork.com or a web development agency,depends on your budget.
- Do it yourself,With Shopify user-friendly interface and customizable themes, you can create your website by following the step-by-step instructions provided.
Make sure your website is user-friendly, visually appealing, fast speed, and has a secure payment system in place. Don’t forget to include high-quality product photos and detailed descriptions to entice customers to make a purchase.
Step 6,Find A Temporary Tattoo Supplier
Once you have your website set up, it’s time to find a supplier for your temporary tattoos. Look for a supplier that offers high-quality, non-toxic, and fast turnaround service.
1.Small quantity business.
Image source: www.pexels.com
If you’re targeting a small quantity business, I suggest starting with a Cricut inkjet printer for the printing process. When it comes to materials, it’s quite straightforward. You can purchase temporary tattoo paper from Amazon that is compatible with inkjet printers. You have the flexibility to print them in any size or format, although I’ve noticed that laser printers yield the best results. If you can get your hands on a color laser printer, you’re already halfway there. So, once you have the paper, you can run your prototypes, which is simply awesome!
2.Bulk quantity business.
For bulk quantity business, it is advisable to seek out a professional temporary tattoo manufacturer. They typically offer superior and consistent quality products compared to DIY methods at home. Moreover, when ordering in large quantities, you can often secure lower prices from manufacturers. There are a few different options here, including ordering pre-made temporary tattoos or making your own using special tattoo paper and inks.You can search for suppliers online or attend trade shows to meet with potential suppliers in person. Make sure to compare quality, prices, and minimum order quantities before making a decision. It must order samples to test the quality of the tattoos before placing a larger order.
Resources for temporary tattoo manufacturer marketplace:
Step 7,Promote Your Temporary Tattoo Business
In this paragraph, you will know what channels are good to promoting your website.
Once you have your website set up and your products in stock, it’s time to start promoting your business. Social media is a great place to start. Create accounts on platforms like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and start sharing photos of your tattoos and engaging with potential customers. You can also reach out to influencers in your niche and offer them free tattoos in exchange for promoting your business to their followers.
Image source: www.pexels.com
Don’t forget to also invest in paid advertising, such as Meta Ads(Facebook Ads) or Google Ads, to reach a wider audience. And finally, consider attending trade shows or events in your industry to network with potential customers and partners.
Promote your temporary tattoo buinsess by Google Ads
Promote your temporary tattoo buinsess by Meta Ads
Lastly, continuously create high-quality content writing for your web, with proper SEO strategy, you can get a good result from 6 months to 1 year. Give yourself a plan and finish a few high-quality articles every week. Continuously learning product knowledge, familiarizing yourself with product craftsmanship, quoting, and quickly becoming an industry expert can make it easier for you to win the trust of customers and obtain orders.
Image source: www.pixabay.com
Starting a temporary tattoo business online can be a fun and rewarding venture. By following this beginner’s guide and continuously evaluating and improving your plan, you can turn your passion into a profitable online business.
Remember to stay adaptable and customer-focused, and don’t be afraid to take risks and try new things. With dedication and hard work, you can achieve success in the online tattoo industry.
Are temporary tattoos in fashion?
That is for sure. Temporary tattoos have become a trendy fashion statement, even making appearances on the red carpet alongside high-end designer brands.
Are temporary tattoos profitable?
Temporary tattoos are a popular and profitable business idea, with high profit margins and a primarily weekend-based schedule. Community events and festivals provide ample opportunities for application, making it a great part-time business option for those with full weekdays.
Who buys temporary tattoos?
-Event merchandise. Concerts, festivals, sporting events ……
-Children’s parties. …
-Corporate events. …
What temporary tattoo should I sell firstly ?
Full-color temporary tattoos to start is the best choice! It’s the most classical and used widely temporary tattoos. Can print your photo directly to tattoos with CMYK printing machine. Semi permanent tattoos are the hottest trend in these years, you can have a try also.